1) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2) All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.
3) In him was life, and the life was the light of men.
4) The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
5) There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
6) He came as a witness, to bear witness of the light, that all might believe through him.
7) He was not the light, but came to bear witness of the light.
8) The true light that enlightens everyone came into the world.
9) He was in the world, and the world came into him, and he did not come to be served, but to serve.
10) He came to give his life as a ransom for many.
11) And the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.
12) No one has ever seen God at any time, the only Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, he has made him known.
13) And this is why we proclaim, that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that God has sent him.
14) Everyone who believes in him is saved.
15) And this is the testimony of John: when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, “Who are you?”
16) He confessed, and did not deny, but confessed, “I am not the Christ.”
17) And they asked him, “What then? Are you Elijah?” He said, “I am not.”
18) So they said,