Pot-roasted chicken with strawberries
Strawberries make a surprisingly tasty addition to this comforting roast chicken dish
SERVES 4, PREP TIME: 15MINS, COOK TIME: 50MIN, DIFFICULTY: EASY
- ¼ cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 1.2kg chicken legs and thighs, skin on
- 12 garlic cloves, halved
- 5 shallots, peeled and halved lengthways
- 3 cups (750ml) chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped preserved lemon
- 1 tablespoon currants
- 1 long red chilli, halved lengthways
- 1 bunch tarragon, leaves picked
- 1 tablespoon each coriander and fennel seeds
- ¼ cup (35g) chopped unsalted macadamias
- ¼ cup each mint and flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 60g spinach leaves
- 125g strawberries, hulled, thinly sliced
- Juice of ½ a lemon, plus lemon halves to serve
1. Preheat oven to 170°C.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large, deep, ovenproof frypan over medium-high heat. Season chicken and cook for 2 minutes each side or until browned. Remove and set aside.
3. Add the garlic and shallot, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until eschalot has softened.
4. Increase heat to high and add stock, preserved lemon, currants, chilli and half the tarragon. Bring to boil and return chicken. Drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoons oil and scatter over coriander and fennel. Transfer to oven and roast, uncovered, for 40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
5. Place macadamias, mint, parsley, spinach leaves, strawberries, lemon juice and remaining tarragon in a bowl and toss.
6. Arrange chicken and salad on a platter. Drizzle with oil and serve with lemon halves.